Thursday, June 22, 2006

Past & Current Projects

I normally pick one thing per month and work on it. So far this year my topics have been as follows:

River Betting: In reviewing my PT stats & hand histories I was finding that when the river card came, in far to many cases I was checking the best hand. This was costing me bets. I took a month and really worked on it. I had some good results. Sure, there are occasions where someone check-raises me, but it’s the exception rather than the rule.

Betting with a Draw: This one was quite some time ago, but a big one. In many cases, I just wasn’t value betting. I know the theory behind it, but it was after a move up in levels, and I think I was afraid to put the money in. I concentrated on 2 things: I would raise post flop with a good flush draw, and 3-bet with the nut flush draw and/or a flush & straight draw.

The above scenarios really helped the bottom line, and can be the difference between having a break-even session and showing a profit.

This Month:

I didn’t go into this month with something to work on. Instead I was going to do a 5k-hand experiment at the level I’d like to be at next. It’s 2 levels up from my current. I plan to skip the next level up as the blind structure is different and for some reason I don’t adjust to it well online. I am currently 4k hands into my experiment and I’ve shelved it. I was playing one table at the normal level and one at the higher, and my results are the normal tables were horrendous. Over the 4k hands I’m down 4.2BB. A perfectly acceptable result, and I think I have a good handle on what I need to do in order to be successful at that level, and I’ll make the move when I’m comfortable w/ my bankroll (needs to be 400bb at the new level to make the move permanent).
Ok, back to the matter at hand. I had been having a miserable month at my normal level. It’s incredibly frustrating. I’m way too competitive to lose. So I’ve reviewed my #’s (with some assistance, thanks guys) and found 2 areas I really need to work on. They are as follows:

Position Play: This is basic, but I’ve found over the past few months I’m playing WAY too many hands from early position. I feel that because of the difference in ability I can get away with my slightly loose play, but I need to rein it in (this is VP$IP by Position for you PT folks…).

Pots won at Showdown: This is costing me money. I’ve always been in the 47% range, and it’s
just not acceptable. The goal is to get it up to about 49%. We’ll see how that goes. This is something that’s been in the back of my mind for a while, and I think it’s time to address it.
Due to the fact we’re better than halfway through June, I’ve picked 2 items and will work on both of them through the end of July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home