Friday, July 28, 2006

Movin' on Up

After just under 50k hands at my current level, the time has come to move up. I've stated in prior posts that I don't like the structure at this level, but screw it. I'm not really pleased with my win rate at my current level (1.85BB/100), but I've had 2 swings down over the last 15k hands, and that coupled with some other factors contribute to a bankroll that just doesn't grow fast enough.

I find the play at this level to be identical to the previous level, if not more predictable. It's easier to push people around, and I seems quite a bit easier to create the table image I like to have.

Speaking of table image, it's something I've been struggling with lately. With my playing style (SLAA on PT), I find there is no middle ground for table image. I play big hands and big draws, and if I go several orbits without hitting anything, it can get frustrating, causing me to play far too many hands. This further degrades my table image, to the point where I spew and it's quite a challenge to recover from that. On the other hand, if I flop good hands early in a session and get to play with a bigger stack, I can move people off of stacks and kill a table. The funny thing is that it's one extreme or another. There is no middle ground. I think in August I will concentrate on table image and perhaps leave a couple of tables when my table image is suffering and see if that helps out.

Blind Play: I try to review all of the hands I play on a daily basis. In doing this, I've found yet another leak. My play of small to medium Aces (suited and non) from the blinds is horrible! I tend to spew chips in these situations. Also I'm trying to be more aggressive in my blind defense, but having trouble reading hands from the blinds.

Now I have projects for August:
-Stay at the level one up (from now on known as the "current level") from my home for almost 50k hands for the entire month and make the same amount I aim for every month.
-Experiment with changing tables when table image turns against me. Not to be confused with running bad mind you.
-Work on my blind play. This means staying tight, yet aggressive. Defending when appropriate, and learning when to release mediocre hands.

Review of July's projects:

Win % of Showdowns: Since making a point of this on 22 June, over almost 14k hands I am at 51.13%. Not great, but a huge improvement. I'll take it. It's a bit low, but I win almost 38.69% of the time when I see the flop. I think this is an important stat (even if no one agrees with me).

Position Play: I'm doing much better with this. For some reason I'm seeing too many hands from the SB (more than the BB). Odd. I'm really pleased with my play from under the gun, and I show a profit in every seat but the blinds for the above referenced time period (although I think every one is).

That's all. Sorry for the long entry. Good Luck at the tables!

2 Comments:

At 28 July, 2006 11:14 , Blogger Chris said...

So is this up to 5/10 or 3/6? Good luck either way. Keep making those isolation plays behind limpers. It becomes a bigger part of your WR as you move up. Position rocks!

 
At 28 July, 2006 12:53 , Blogger Chris said...

Yep, I'll see you monday. Maybe I'll be less obnoxious. Doubtful, but maybe. GL at 3/6. It's a tougher level than 5/10 imo, especially full ring. The SB adjustment you need to make in a 1/3 structure is huge. Almost nothing is playable. Tens can be mucked to a raise. I've seen arguments that jacks may be -EV. Enjoy those thin margins. Man I love NL these days :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home