Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Vacation Ends & Some Live Micro Fun

After my week of fun camping and the week of crap that was work, I went back last weekend for more punishment. Also the camper needed to come home. That always helps. I tried to get out of going but it wasn't happening.

I was exhausted Friday night, but stayed up and played cards anyway. Saturday some new people came to visit. An older couple that love hold'em. What's that you say? I kept quiet and they got a game going. I joined a short time after the first person broke. I won't post hands as they really weren't entertaining, but I came out of the game up 400bb ($20). The next biggest winner made $8, and the know-it-all made $4. Fun stuff. Normally I can't play cards and enjoy it unless there is some significant action, but this was really refreshing for me. Perhaps because my last two live sessions have been disasters.

I read most of Phil Gordons Little Green Book over vacation and it's quite good. I came out of my reading with the following lessons (notice I didn't say I've learned them:

Position: Regardless of the table, I need to pay more attention to it. I've been opening up more from EP/MP, and sizing raises differently. I still need to work on my raise sizing by position, but not by playing more weak hands OOP.

Post Flop Play: Just because I feel I'm a better player post-flop doesn't mean I need to play more hands further post flop. I'm comfortable with the % of the time I'm c-betting, but I think I need to give up more on the flop, and slow down with one-pair hands & two-pair hands on the river in multi-way pots. I'm torn on this, but looking back at my play in July, I lost a ton in the last two sessions w/ TP or two pair. I'm not sure if it's just a bad run or if I'm overplaying my hands (see hand in last post for example).

I'm coming into the busiest time of the year for me, which kind of sucks. I want to play live once more this month and twice in August. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. I may have to play more online, although I don't feel comfortable after my last blowup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home