Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My precious game isn't the same...

Well, I dove back into the waters at my old pace this weekend (first time in months), and I have to say I was pretty dissapointed.

I started with full ring limit, which was my old bread & butter, playing 2 levels below my most comfortable, and 4 levels below where I was at my high point. Play was predictably poor and I made money. Groovy.

I then played a few hundred hands of 6-max (sam limits). Play was still poor, but I expected it to be worse. I just coudln't get anything going and was kind of bored. I think it was the stakes, but I'm not sure.

I then played some 6-max NL. Post-flop play is just horrible. It's freaking awesome. I'll call this level -2, and I'll hope to get to "ground zero" in a few months. It'll be a bit tough since I'll be making regular withdrawals. Of course, I could go busto, but I seriously doubt it.

Some NL notes:

-PF Raise Sizing: I'm off on this. I've read several places about sizing based on position and I've been toying with it. PF I tend to open anywhere from 2x to 5x the blind. I've also been RR'ing rather than calling with strong (but not monster) hands.

-Bet Sizing: I'm pretty happy with this so far. I've tried to err on the side of betting too big. :) It's bitten me in the ass a few times, but I can't believe the calls my made hands are getting from 2nd pair or worse.

-Calling: I'm used to factoring in pot odds and pretty much ignoring implieds. I think I've folded in error on some strong draws in multi-way pots. I've got some work to do here.

-C-Bets & Bluffing: It's amazing how often a c-bet will take down a pot on a harmless board or an A-high board when I've got a medium pair. Also I'm learning there is a time to fire another round on the river HU w/ air. I've taken some nice (relatively speaking) pots that I'd have lost out on in LHE.

-Letting go: I think I'm too predictable when I miss the flop and don't like the texture. I may let go of my AK-AJ, or 77-JJ too easily. I'll get more comfortable as I play more hands.

That's what I've got going through my mind after my first few sessions back. I don't anticipate moving up until mid-July or the beginning of August. Also, I don't have PT on the computer I'm playing on yet. I've got to load it this week and I'll hopefully be able to plug a few leaks. That program is great.

On the home front, I gutted our main bathroom (we only have 1.5) memorial day weekend. Down to the studs & joyces. It's the first construction project I've ever done myself and it's going a bit slow. I've got tub surround, floor, walls, toilet & vanity left to go. I'm taking it easy this week as I've hurt my back a bit. I really am glad we bought the motorhome last year (thanks donks). The shower in there is small, but without it I would have been in a rush and very uncomfortable with things.

Good Luck at the Tables...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home