Thursday, August 02, 2007

Out of the darkness, back into the light...

The NL game has always been my dark mistress. I don’t know what it is about the game. I’ve had some limited success in the live game, but online I really struggle with it. I play well for a session and find a way to blow up in a hand or two. Too much grinding to endure a 2 or 3 buyin loss in one or two hands. It’s frustrating.

So, I played some limit over the weekend. Short handed of course. While not as sexy as the NL game, there’s certainly money to be made in this game, and I can misplay more hands and still turn a handy profit. It's similar to my live NL game. I'm not always the best player at the table, but there's nothing like a table with 3 or 4 bad players and 2 good ones. Groovy man. An example, from a 1/2 6-max session.

Dealt 4:c: 4:s: in the BB.

2 calls, button raise, fold, I call, 2 calls

Flop: Q :h: 4 :h: 4 :d:

I check, check, bet, folds around, I raise (should have just called), fold, call.

Turn: T :h:

I check, bet, I raise, call.

River: 9 (black)

I bet, call. He mucked A :h: 9 :d: :)

I really wanted to go for the third C/R, but I didn’t think I’d get the bet. I think I misplayed that hand on the flop, and still got 3 more big bets in there.

I’ve moved up 3 levels and playing fairly well. I’m missing bets on the river. I played a few hundred hands this morning and on the river alone I missed 4 or 5 bets. It’s quite fun to know I’m getting odds to play the majority of my draws profitably. It’s one of the things that bothered me most in NL. I really don’t like feeling that I’m not proficient at a game and moving on, but I like money. I’ll still play NL live as they don’t spread a big enough limit game, but for now I’m going back to limit online with a few tourneys mixed in.

I missed a great opportunity last weekend to play in a card game. It was a stag. Entertainment was very good (I’ve seen these two young ladies at stags in the past), and there was a SnG followed by a cash game. Bummer.


On a personal note, it’s really freaking hot. I’m not a big fan of that. When does fall get here again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home